If your tooth is infected due to decay or damage, you might be in need of a root canal. We’ve all heard the countless comparisons of painful things to root canals. Though it is not as painful as commonly thought, Dr. Gabriel Roybal offers sedation dentistry in his Santa Fe office so that you can get through your dental root canal with as little pain and anxiety as possible.
What is a Root Canal?
When your teeth decay, or if they are damaged in an accident, it can cause the tiny canals in your teeth to become infected. That leads to diseased pulp inside your tooth, accompanied by extreme swelling and discomfort. A dental root canal is a treatment used to save a tooth that is decayed and/or infected to prevent surgical extraction of the tooth. The canals are filled and the tooth receives a non-toxic filling made out of tooth-colored, bio-compatible materials.
Dental Root Canals & Sedation Dentistry
With the latest in dental technology, root canals are no longer the painful procedures they once were. Dr. Roybal will be able to perform your root canal as you rest easy and calm. You might be a good candidate for sedation dentistry if you have:
- A high fear of dental procedures.
- Very sensitive teeth.
- Difficulty with local anesthetic. For some people, Novocain alone doesn’t work. They can get many injections and still not be numb. Sedation strengthens the Novocain, and the result is that the entire appointment is comfortable and stress-free.
- A bad gag reflex.
- A complex dental problem requiring extensive work. What would otherwise take multiple appointments can be accomplished in only one stress-free appointment with sedation dentistry.
- A fear of shots or needles.
- Embarrassment over the condition of your teeth.
To further ease any discomfort or worry, you can be assured that Dr. Roybal is a patient, caring dentist who has treated tens of thousands of patients like you in his more than 20 years as a cosmetic dentist in Santa Fe, NM and Los Alamos, NM. If dental anxiety has kept you from getting the care you need, Dr. Roybal and our team of dental professionals will work to help you overcome that. Contact us today to set up an appointment.